Did you know that over 60 billion messages are sent out every single day? This includes ads, personal posts, newsletters, memes, and much more.
In this overcrowded world, how do you make sure that your message stands out?
How do you capture the attention of a reader who’s got a short attention span and is accustomed to scrolling through hundreds of messages every hour?
In this episode, Brendan Kane answers these questions and more. He shares how he helps brands, whether personal, corporate or celebrity, to go beyond the dream of getting a million followers and achieve the ultimate goal of getting and retaining their audience’s attention through great hooks.
He emphasises that you don’t have to change who you are or what you offer to do this. It’s all about how you contextually shape your message and pull out the most genius parts of it so you can get people to stop and check out more of your content.
Brendan’s expert tips and strategies are based on years of experience creating and analysing successful hooks.
WHAT YOU’LL DISCOVER IN THIS EPISODE:
- Get to know Brendan’s work (01:41)
- “How do I get more followers?” is not the right question to ask (03:04)
- A million followers will not matter if you don’t grab their attention (03:28)
- Once you master gaining attention, the followers will come (04:44)
- First pillar of a great hook: grab the attention within 2-5 seconds (06:04)
- Second pillar: retain the attention (06:14)
- Third pillar: deliver the message authentically (06:29)
- Tips to make your message authentic (08:06)
- Design content that will resonate with another person’s view of the world (09:15)
- Communicate in a way that the widest audience receives it (11:04)
- You don’t have to change who you are or your product or service (13:13)
- Brendan’s journey (14:24)
- Strategy for people who are struggling to find out who they are or what makes them unique (21:52)
- Start to keep tabs on books or ads that grab your attention (23:53)
- There’s a big difference between what people want vs. what they need (26:14)
- What happens when you don’t go to the right people (28:06)
- Don’t rely on one hook (29:48)
- Commercial companies that are masters in creating hooks (30:32)
- Service-based businesses that have created great hooks (32:24)
- Over 60 billion messages are sent out every day (36:20)
- “Hook Point” (38:23)
- If we don’t have attention, we’re not working in our zone of genius or creating an impact (39:51)
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Brendan Kane is a digital strategist for Fortune 500 corporations, global brands, and
celebrities. He started his career in the entertainment industry managing digital divisions for two prominent movie studios. His most recent book, Hook Point: How to Stand Out in a 3-Second World, breaks down the most effective strategies to generate new opportunities, innovate and scale businesses, and create a compelling brand—both online and off— to ensure that they thrive in the new micro-attention world in which we live.