Whether you’re running a million-dollar company or a small mom-and-pop shop, it’s a given that you will make mistakes. It’s what you do when you go through the challenges of being a business owner that will determine the future of your journey.
But when these challenges crop up, do you keep going or do you stop?
In this episode, serial entrepreneur Joel Primus opens up about his personal and professional highs and lows, from the moment that ended his career as a professional runner to his first business mistake.
His vulnerability and honesty about his journey may resonate with what you’re going through, so join Samantha and Joel in the Business Lab and take a listen.
WHAT YOU’LL DISCOVER IN THIS EPISODE:
- Who is Joel Primus? (01:39)
- Entrepreneurship is a journey (04:01)
- The moments that challenged Joel’s journey (06:27)
- First steps you can take when something goes wrong (09:12)
- Challenges affect people physically, mentally and viscerally (11:33)
- Can you get to self-awareness without going through challenges? (12:56)
- Experiences don’t matter if you don’t listen to the lesson (14:31)
- We are born into traditions and belief systems that affect our behaviours (15:48)
- The entrepreneurship journey gives you the chance to unlock your true self (18:42)
- There is a duality in experiences (21:23)
- Your body will whisper signals for change until it screams (22:15)
- You need somebody to help you get back on track and fight your villains (24:28)
- Business doesn’t stop while you’re going through challenges on your journey (26:22)
- “It’s not freedom from, it’s freedom as” (28:21)
- Thank life for giving you chances to do better and level up (30:35)
- Learning from mistakes and constant review can make you overcome challenges easier (32:19)
- Is getting the finer things in life and fulfilment an and/or situation? (36:00)
- Life is something to be enjoyed (40:08)
- Ask yourself, “Am I lying to myself?” (42:35)
- Ask yourself, “How am I complicit in creating the conditions I don’t like or don’t want?” (43:57)
- Final words of wisdom from Joel (48:46)
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Joel is the founder of Naked Underwear. He helped raise over $17 million, establishing retail distribution at Nordstrom and Bloomingdales and completed a merger with Bendon Lingerie in 2018. Recently, Joel launched one of the most successful Kickstarter apparel products of all time—reaching nearly $1 million in sales in 30 days.
Haven’t left a review yet? We’d love your help to get to 100 reviews. All you have to do is go to https://samanthariley.global/itunes Thanks so much for your support of the show
Do you have a guest suggestion for the Thought Leaders Business Lab podcast, a suggestion for a topic, or maybe a question you’d like answered on the show? Click here and let us know: https://samanthariley.global/submit-suggestion/